As a center of intense intellectual inquiry, the library shares the aspiration to be at par with other world class library.
In this desired future, the library ensures that its collections remain forward-looking, diverse, accessible and of international quality. Through innovation and advocacy, the library resources are showcased and easy access is provided. For posterity reasons, the library preserves information across all formats and ensures effective storage and delivery systems. The library’s collaboration with expanding circles of partners yields unified access, broadening knowledge, and enhanced services.
Library Mission Statement
AfriHeritage's library provides integrated library and information services in support of the Institute's overall aims and objectives, as embodied in the mission statement and strategic plan.
Let knowledge grow from more to more; and so be human life enriched
The library is dedicated to enriching life through the expansion of knowledge in all its scope of operations and thematic areas. In pursuit of this mission, the library:
builds collections and provides access to information resources in support of the research of the users
facilitates the creation, discovery and use of these resources
ensures the long-term preservation, availability, and access to these resources
anticipates the information needs and preferences of current and future generations of users
creates hospitable environments for local and distant study and research
partners with the University community to identify and provide needed services
participates in local, national and international associations, programs and cooperative initiatives
In all of our interactions, we are guided by these values:
• We encourage the process of learning.
• We anticipate and contribute to scholarly inquiry.
• We promote the Library as both a real and virtual extended classroom.
• We embrace our role as collectors and custodians of the intellectual record.
• We offer an environment that supports creativity, flexibility, and collaboration.
• We believe that each user of the library is unique and important.
• We evolve to meet the changing needs of the library and its users.
• We maintain a comfortable, welcoming and secure place for study, research, work and interaction.
• We commit ourselves to excellence.
• We support individual growth and organizational development.
• We work diligently to exceed the expectations of those we serve.
• We relate to each other with honesty and candor.
• We adhere to the principles of fairness, justice and equality in our work.
• We demonstrate a strong work ethic, taking responsibility for our actions.
• We treat everyone with equal consideration and courtesy.
• We encourage differences in perspective, opinions and ideas.
• We consider the needs of others.
• We provide an environment that is inclusive and diverse.
• We engage in open and honest communication at all levels.
• We recognize the importance of library-wide participation.
• We share information and solicit opinions about decisions that affect the success of the library.